A trigeneration biomass plant in Burgos

On September 25th 2014, L’Oréal opened a new biomass plant at its Burgos site. This means that the Spanish factory, which specialises in the manufacture of professional haircare products, will achieve carbon neutrality in 2015. All this has been made possible by a new industry initiative in Spain that seeks to combine different renewable energy sources.

trigeneration-biomass-plant-burgos_main.jpg

04/2016

MEETING EVERY ENERGY NEED

The Burgos factory, which has been actively involved in L’Oréal’s sustainable production policy, has already spearheaded many environmental initiatives for treating waste, saving water and reducing CO2 emissions. In 2014, the site kept its momentum by building a new biomass plant. For the first time in Spain, the trigeneration process will be used, supplying the factory with three types of energy: thermal energy, cooling capacity and electricity, thereby covering all the site’s energy needs for producing and packaging its products. The biomass plant will also be fitted with photovoltaic panels and the electricity produced will be used entirely by the L’Oréal plant, making the site carbon neutral in 2015.

RECOVERING LOCAL WASTE WOOD AS AN ENERGY SOURCE

The plant, which spans 3,800 m2, will produce 20,000 MWh of thermal energy each year. The factory will consume 70% of this production and the remaining 30% will be sold to neighbouring businesses. As a biomass source, it will use some 12,000 tonnes of waste wood from forests and sawmills in the Castile and León region.

The Burgos plant was designed and built by Biocen, a joint venture between the private company Cenit Solar and SOMACYL, a public environment and infrastructure company in Castile and León that now manages the plant.

BRANDS

Reducing CO2 emissions

L’Oréal set the objective of reducing CO2 emissions at our plants and distribution centres by 50% in absolute terms, between 2005 and 2015. This goal was reached this year already, even though production volumes actually increased by 21%. The Group is now targeting a 60% reduction by 2020.